If you're one of the lucky ones headed off to a fun winter vacation, here's some home tips to help save yourself unwanted worry about what could be happening at home.
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices - Make sure to unplug televisions, computers and appliances susceptible to lightning and power surges.
- Put the water heater in “vacation” mode.
- Clean the refrigerator of all perishable foods, and take out the garbage.
- Lock all windows and doors.
- Never leave your house key hidden outside your home.
- Set timers on interior lights.
- Set the heating system to provide minimum heat of 55 degrees.
- Run your garbage disposal with a half-cup of vinegar and some water.
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly
- Let a trusted neighbor know you will be away and have them keep an eye on your home. It is a good idea to leave your vacation address and telephone number with a neighbor so you can be reached in case of an emergency.Arrange to have the newspaper and mail held until your return, or have them picked up by a trusted neighbor.
- Arrange to have your snow shoveled while you are away. Ask a neighbor to set out your trash on collection day and then retrieve empty cans and recycling bins the same day.
- Store jewelry and valuable items in a safe-deposit box.
Now go and have a relaxing vacation!