OSHA has recently updated the general industry standards on walking-working surfaces. This rule is estimated to prevent 29 worker deaths and 5,842 lost work-day injuries each year. (source: www.osha.gov) The final rule becomes effective January 17, 2017. OSHA also provides delayed or phased-in compliance dates for several requirements in the final rule, including:
- Training workers on fall and equipment hazards - 6 months
- Inspection and certification of permanent building anchorages - 1 year
- Installation of fall protection (personal fall arrest systems, ladder safety systems, cages, wells) on existing fixed ladders (over 24 feet) that do not have any fall protection - 2 years
- Installation of ladder safety or personal fall arrest systems on new fixed ladders (over 24 feet) and replacement ladders/ ladder sections -2 years
- Installation of ladder safety systems or personal fall arrest systems on all fixed ladders (over 24 feet) - 20 years
We want you to stay up-to-date on new rules and standards, so please contact us with questions at any time. For more information you can access the OSHA ruling by clicking the following link: Ruling at OSHA.GOV.