If you’ve just been in a car accident, taking photos at the scene may not be your top priority at that moment. But photos can prove to be very helpful in providing useful information and evidence documentation for an insurance claim. Since almost all of us carry smart phones, taking photos is relatively easy.
But before you take any photos, be sure you are able to do so safely. First and foremost, get help for yourself or anyone else who may be injured. Do not move or exit your vehicle unless there are no injuries and the accident scene is safe to do so. Be sure you are not putting yourself or others in harm’s way.
If you are safely able to snap a few photos, here’s a list of helpful shots when it comes to filing an insurance claim:
· The license plates of all vehicles involved in the accident.
· The positions of the vehicles in the accident scene.
· Exterior damage to your vehicle. Shoot each side of the vehicle, including each of the four corners so two sides of the car are visible at once.
· Exterior damage to any other vehicles or property involved in the accident.
· Any loose debris including vehicle parts or shattered glass.